Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Early Oscar reaction

I must admit: I was hoping against hope for something totally unexpected -- say, a Best Actress nod for Gretchen Mol of The Notorious Bettie Page, or a sentimental nomination for Robert Altman. But never in my wildest dreams could I have predicted such shockers as the Best Picture snub of Dreamgirls -- somebody better put uber-fan David Poland on a suicide watch -- and the Best Actor honor for Ryan Gosling of the widely praised but little seen Half Nelson. This may turn out to be an interesting Oscar race after all.

And for the record: No, I'm not disappointed that Sacha Baron Cohen didn't get a Best Actor nomination for Borat. Truth to tell, I never could understand why some folks were so convinced that an extended sketch-comedy turn was some kind of brilliant acting.

Also for the record: I still think it's entirely possible that The Queen could pull off a Best Picture win for Best Picture.

No comments: