Sunday, December 16, 2007

R.I.P.: Dan Fogelberg (1951-2007)



At a time of year when his classic "Same Old Lang Syne" is a radio staple, it's all the more tragic to hear that singer-songwriter Dan Fogelberg has passed away at the ridiculously young age of 56. He was never what you would call a superstar -- truthfully, never someone who immediately sprang to mind when the discussion centered on defining musical talents of the '70s and '80s -- but his music always appealed to me, and millions of others, and I can't remember ever wanting to change the station when one of his songs came on my car radio. Indeed, I can remember singing along with some of the tunes -- late at night, especially, when melancholy claims dominion on my soul. To pay him the highest compliment I can think of: He left this world a better place than it might have been if he'd never been in it.

No comments: